Alaska


This week I am sharing with classes a bit about a place I have had the exceptional privilege call home, where I spent the better part of my adult life... Alaska. We will explore what the students already know about the state, what they'd like to know and a bit about the interview process, along with the idea of primary, secondary and tertiary sources of information.

This summer an amazing new television show was launched on PBS: Molly of Denali! I will be sharing an episode with all the classes. It is the first nationally aired cartoon to represent Alaska Natives as the main character. A lot of care and research went into creating this program to accurately illustrate life from the perspective of a child from this culture and place on the planet. There are fantastic resources available on the PBS website including pod casts, activities and games that can be used at home.

Popular Posts